The night sky, filled with stars, is celebrated and protected around the world as a shared heritage benefiting all living things.
To protect the night from light pollution.?
We will realize our vision by guiding strategy, monitoring results, and supporting aligned actions among IDA chapters, volunteers, and other stakeholders. By providing leadership, tools and resources for individuals, policymakers, and industry, we will reduce light pollution and promote responsible outdoor lighting that is beautiful, healthy, and functional.
In all our words and deeds we are guided by our core values.
- Passion: We are enthusiastic advocates for the night that benefits all living things, and its star-filled sky.
- Credibility: We base our actions in evidence – where it is lacking, we proceed cautiously and support rigorous inquiry.
- Relationships: We build enduring relationships to find solutions that benefit everyone.
- Consensus: We strive for consensus and invite public participation.
- Inclusion: We believe the night sky is a shared global heritage for every person for all time.
- Nonpartisan: We work to advance public policy without regard to political ideology.
- Celebration: Our spirit is enriched by the wonders of the night—from the star-studded sky to the flash of a firefly.
- Light Pollution: Any adverse effect or impact attributable to artificial light at night.
- Artificial Light: Light, ranging in wavelength from the ultraviolet to the near-infrared, that is caused, directed, or used by humans for any purpose.